Boroondara Sports Complex and Balwyn Gymnastics Club maintain a set of COVID-safe practices to ensure the wellbeing of gymnasts and families.
COVID-19 still poses a serious health threat to the community and we will be taking all of the precautionary steps necessary to keep you and our staff safe.
We have implemented a series of COVID-safe practices specific to our gymnastics studio lessons. These practices are summarised in the drop down fields below.
Further details on these practices are listed below and within our Family Information Handbook.
Contact tracing at our centre
Boroondara Sports Complex is now using the Victorian Government Contact Tracing System.
All responsible parents/guardians of gymnastics members are required to check in to our centre dropping off or picking up their child.
We understand that some children are dropped off by multiple family members. In this instance, all adults attending our centre are required to scan our on site QR Code.
For more information relating to the Victorian Government Contact Tracing application, please visit the Service Victoria website.
In response to the global COVID-19 pandemic, a number of changes have been made to ensure the safe delivery of our program. Information containing the changes to our programming can be found in our Parent Information Handbook.
This handbook has been designed to provide key information to those attending the gymnastics program and includes key information including:
- Changes to existing processes and procedures
- Expectations in a COVID safe environment (Our COVID Safety Plan)
- Changes to program operation
- Hygiene and cleaning processes
- Facility layout information
- Supervision and traffic management
Processes and procedures
- Children will arrive and scan their membership card at reception to record their attendance
- Parents/Guardians entering the facility will need to scan in using the Gymnastics QR code at the entrance to the facility.
- Due to the current density quotient of 1 person per 4sqm parents/guardians are not permitted to spectate for school-aged programming.
- Only one parent/guardian/carer is permitted to remain in the facility for pre-school age children (Parent Viewing Room Capacity = 15 people).
- Sanitiser will be available at both the main entry and entry to the gymnastics space. We ask that all those entering sanitise hands before entering.
- Gymnasts to leave belongings with parents then line up at the gymnastics entry door where TIC and coaches will direct classes to areas.
- For parent-assisted classes a gymnast plus maximum one parent/guardian will be permitted.
- Where 1.5m social distancing is unable to be maintained, a face covering is recommended.
- Parents are asked to arrive on time for collection of gymnasts.
- Gymnastics will be directed by their coach at the conclusion of their class to the designated drop off/pick up point where parents can wait to collect their gymnasts.
- Familiarise yourself with entry and exit points on the map as alternative exits are being utilised to manage traffic flow.
- Gymnasts will be dismissed as parent recognised or announced.
- Gymnasts and parent/guardian to sanitise hands before leaving.
Maintaining a COVID-safe environment
Boroondara Sports Complex maintains a facility wide COVID Safety Plan which is available to download.
The following information is sample from the full plan.
- Temperature scanning provides a layer of protection by identifying those who may have a high temperature.
- All staff and contractors will have temperature checks prior to commencing work.
- Should a temperature above 38 degrees be detected an additional test(s) will be completed.
- Should subsequent tests confirm the prior reading, the staff member will be asked to return home.
Physical Distancing Requirements
- A distance of 1.5m between people throughout our facilities and programs.
- All spaces have been measured and 4m2 capacity restrictions are in place where required.
- Removal of seating and equipment has occurred to ensure social distancing.
Signage and Instruction
- Hygiene signage and floor, seat and bench decals have been installed to guide patrons.
- Areas within the facility have signs advising of capacity, these limits must be complied with at all times.
Increased Hygiene and Cleaning
- Hand sanitiser stations have been installed at entry/exit, in high touch point areas and areas of high traffic.
- Cleaning has been increased with staff regularly cleaning touch points.
- Where required all staff, visitors and patrons will wear a mask within Y facilities.
- All staff have been trained in COVID Safety training provided by the Health Department.
- Staff have undergone Y Victoria training and signed commitment to being COVID-Safe.
- In the event of a confirmed case of COVID-19 the Y has an 8 step confirmed case process.
- This process ensures isolation, reporting, tracing and cleaning occurs before an area or facility can reopen.
- Everyone who enters our facility will have their details recorded to assist with contact tracing.
- Most classes have been reduced by 15-minutes to provide sufficient time and to conduct essential cleaning between lessons.
- In order to achieve our 15-minute change over process we have made two key changes
- Gymnast of the week certificates will not be distributed in the last minutes of classes.
- We are working on alternative methods to recognise our gymnasts during this time.
- The warm-up will now be incorporated into the initial apparatus rotation with your class.
Make up classes
- Members can access a maximum of four make-up classes per calendar year.
- Make-up classes are dependent on vacancies in other classes.
Communication between families and coaches
- In order to maximise activities during lessons we ask that families contact our Gymnastics Coordinator outside of lesson times.
- Our Gymnastics Coordinator is able to answer questions about your child's progression or review your current lesson schedule.
- Contact our Gymnastics Coordinator via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call 03 9851 0444 during business hours.
- Alternatively, families can schedule a phone call by booking a call back appointment.
- Zones have been developed within the gymnastics area to ensure the environment is controlled.
- These zones have been measured out with the total square metres of each zone known.
- This has enabled us to easily manage the amount of people in a zone and assists in keeping separating students.
- Gymnasts will be required to stay as a group during classes and stay within their designated zone.
Cleaning and hygiene
- Sanitisation stations have been placed around the gymnastics area, including entry and exit into the space.
- Prior to and throughout each class, gymnasts will be required to complete a personal sanitisation practices (handwashing and sanitising).
- These practices may occur when participants are changing zones, switching equipment and if they sneeze or cough.
- Additional cleaning will occur between lessons.
- Where possible equipment that cannot be wiped between lessons will be removed from circulation.